This is Sword and Savvy, a video-chat style interview show, like grabbing a virtual coffee with a Christian business mentor. Guests are established Christian entrepreneurs who talk about how their faith impacts their business and how their business impacts their faith. Click to learn more, including how to become a guest.
In this episode…
- How to find that balance between trusting God and making stuff happen (15:11)
- What to do when you don’t feel qualified (19:11)
- Having both humility and confidence (23:57)
- Modeling yourself after people you admire, finding your own voice, being creative (39:06)
- Does the “Christian” label mean the “clean but less good version”? (45:13)
- God can use anything as a ministry, especially your business (57:23)
Jon Jorgenson is an author, a speaker, a spoken word poet whose YouTube videos have been viewed by more than 20 million people. He partners with numerous organizations including Awana International, Moody Bible Institute, the Willow Creek Association, and hundreds of other churches, colleges and conferences all over the globe. His spoken word poetry provides a dynamic and creative experience that captures the imagination of audiences everywhere. As a former Broadway actor, Chicago native, and a very lucky husband, hopes to provide a fresh, unique voice to some of life’s most difficult and challenging questions.
Get Faith Journey (spoken word collaboration between Jon Jorgenson and Common Man Music) available wherever music is sold (Spotify | iTunes | Amazon)
💬 LEAVE A COMMENT – who do you want to see next? What did you learn? What would *you* have asked Jon?
Bible Verses, Links, and Quoted Sayings:
• Jon’s Not Qualified spoken word video
• War of Art by Steven Pressfield
• We are one body in Christ – Romans 12:3-8 and 1 Corinthians 12
• Proverbs 3:5-6 “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.”
• “God won’t give you anything you can’t handle” is a misinterpretation of 1 Corinthians 10:13
• Faith Journey (spoken word collaboration between Jon Jorgenson and Common Man Music) available wherever music is sold (Spotify | iTunes | Amazon)
• Jon’s site: jonjorgenson.com
Quotes from this Episode:
“Obviously we want to present ourselves with confidence, and as a professional, I think there’s a difference between being false and flat out lying and being confident, just as there is a difference of between being humble and giving too much information about whatever struggles you’re going through.”
“A sort of unique way that I have found to attack comparison is by actually doubling down on your own work. […] the problem is is that we spend so much time comparing ourselves as just a general speaker or a general photographer or whatever it is, your business, instead of diving really intensely into the work of our own craft and discovering what makes us specifically unique and once you find–because really what you’ll do if you dive deep enough–you’ll find out that you are the only person who does that thing, and when you’re in a category of one, you can’t compare. […] It’s really digging in and figuring out: Where am I a “category of one” within this larger category? And then it frees me to do me as well as I can do it.”
“there really is no difference between ministry and career […] I think we all owe it to ourselves and especially as, as entrepreneurs and business owners are solopreneurs to really dig in and see: Where are the ministry opportunities in this work that I do? […] God can use anything as a ministry opportunity, especially when we enter into it with that heart and with that hope. And so I think we all owe it to not only ourselves but to the customers and the community that we serve and also to, to the God that we serve to ask ourselves: ‘Where is the ministry opportunity here?'”
🎞 Watch the next episode: “The uncomfortable is a good guide” – Interview with Jeanette Johnson | Sword and Savvy 102
✔ SUBSCRIBE to the YouTube channel now for more videos for Christian entrepreneurs, to help you connect your faith and business with confidence. New videos every Wednesday!